1. Sun.Star Best of Cebu 2013 had 80 honorees from seven categories, namely: Food & Drink, Fun & Games, Beauty & Wellness, Services, Shopping, Hotels, and Public Facilities. The selection appeared on the Dec. 13, 2013 special issue of Sun.Star Weekend. The category with the most number of honorees? Food & Drink with 31.
2. “Project Sun.Star Best of Cebu” was highly confidential. Only a handful of individuals – fewer than 15 – knew about the project, and they served in the selection panel composed of top management and a few editors. Sorry, but their identities will remain hidden for now.
3. The selection process for Sun.Star Best of Cebu 2013 took four months. This involved nominations from the panel members for each category, collating of data from random office polls, lengthy deliberations, site visits, and in the case of food and drink, “blind” taste tests. Guess which part was most enjoyable.
4. On a more somber note, two devastating natural calamities – the Bohol earthquake and Typhoon Yolanda – struck in the middle of the selection process. In the aftermath, the project, which had to push through as planned, took on a new meaning: the honorees now represent the driving force behind a resilient Cebu economy.
5. During the magazine production, the Weekend team found out that one of the honorees had closed shop several days before the special issue would see print. Naturally, the honoree’s name was scrapped off the list. If only the proprietor held on for a few more days, we wondered.
6. All the awardees and nominees had no prior knowledge of Project Sun.Star Best of Cebu. However, several days into publication of the special issue, news began to leak about the project. Inquiries started trickling in, mostly questions on how a product or company can be part of the Best of Cebu list. By then, of course, the selection was final. There’s always a next time, of course.
7. Now that Sun.Star Best of Cebu is out in the open, we invite everyone to tell us which events, places products or services in Cebu deserve to be in the Best of Cebu 2014 list. Share your suggestions via firstname.lastname@example.org. Your inputs would be more than welcome.