On Repeat - SunStar

On Repeat

Weekend readers go for outfit repeats, turn their backs on ‘faux pas’ culture

By Cassandra C. Poculan SunStar Writer
Photo: Associated Press

THERE was a time when the biggest fashion faux pas one could commit was wearing the same outfit twice. It didn’t even matter if they were designer duds — you just couldn’t. Now outfit repeating is no longer frowned upon, thanks in part to famous personalities like Kate Middleton, Victoria Beckham, Kim Kardashian, and Harry Styles, who all have worn the same clothes on more than one occasion. Pop culture has even coined a phrase for it — ”pulling a Kate” — which now elicits exclamations of praise and approval. We ask readers for their thoughts on this matter and their answers may or may not be different from yours.

Maverick Tallo, 26
Third Year Medical Student
Southwestern University PHINMA

I think there’s nothing wrong with it. As long as it serves its purpose, go ahead and wear it — as many times as you want! If it bothers you, try to use different accessories or anything that goes well with that certain clothing.

Jehan Jayme, 26
Medical Intern
UV-Gullas College of Medicine

If I had no choice, yes I could wear the same clothes over and over again. Especially with my chosen profession, it leaves us little to no time to care for ourselves as we focus more on other people’s immediate problem — their health. However mundane, I guess at some point we all have to re-wear our clothes, but it’s better than not having anything to wear at all.

Niñachleo Saplad, 23
Sales Administrative Staff
Crimson Resort and Spa Mactan

I don’t mind at all. It’s always about how you carry yourself in whatever clothes you wear. You can mix and match depending on your mood or whatever makes you feel good and comfortable. If we don’t repeat clothes, we’ll probably have a lot of similar-looking ones in our closet, and I don’t think that’s practical. I try to make my wardrobe as versatile and basic as possible so I can just grab clothes anytime without consuming much of my time.

Axel Bordario, 23
Singer, Host, Lifestyle Writer
www.axelwally.com

It’s a non-issue (well, except if you’re always on TV, print, or social media, where shots of you are kept for eternity!). My wardrobe consists mostly of basic shirts (long sleeves and tees) and jeans on the daily. Other than that, you’ll always see me in a suit and tie for work. I am very color-conscious that’s why I end up buying the same shirts and colors every single time. I also am quite a classic person, not so much into those trendy, millennial style pieces. So me repeating my OOTD’s, is not a surprise — and I couldn’t care less. What matters is how you mix and match everything from the top to the footwear, and feeling good in it. TIP: Collect a variation of colored basic tops. They work wonders!

Shaira Björkman, 28
Operations Manager
InGenius Ltd.

I love variety when it comes to what I wear so I like to shop and hoard. After watching a documentary about the tons of water used per clothing, I knew I had to be more responsible in dressing up. We all have to be! Repeating clothes saves water and at the same time, it allows you to be more creative. You can always vivify the same clothes or style it differently but whatever it is that you wear, wear it with confidence. It makes all the difference!